Saturday, November 2, 2013

Best laid plans of mice...


Life and wrenches go hand in hand. The events of this last week demonstrated yet again that plans are, well, plans. D can't drive a truck. No truck job, no move to Texas, no nanny-ing for Duck, at least for now. It hurts too much to think about. It was the only and best decision I could make for us staring at our hand. The disappointment eats me from the inside out when I think on it too long.

Everyone has been nothing but unconditionally loving and understanding, and I need that. His family has been amazingly supportive, and my family has rallied around me from afar. I'm kind of just breathing. No planning can happen for a bit so mostly I'm trying to figure out how we can tread water for awhile.


I may be taking the path of least resistance, denial, but I don't feel sucker punched. Every time I start worrying, I count my breaths. In, one. Out, two. In, three. Out, four. I know it's OK to have bad days.

I've had several since I looked at the hand and realized I couldn't take the trick I wanted. I broke down while visiting my oncologist. She kindly listened. I broke down on the phone with my best friend in Texas.  Now, I'm just numb.

It's numbness that I dread.  Anger and sorrow I can deal with. Numbness though settles around me like gloom and fog. There's nowhere to go. There's no where to stay. It's just empty space, and I've turned into the nobody in nowhere land. I have no tools for nothingness.

My second chemo treatment ever took place after a hellish cross country road trip that we undertook so I could get treatment near my family. We arrived the day before my appointment. Car and chemo troubles dogged us from Washington, through Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Texas.

The doctor decided to start chemo immediately. I hadn't expected it. When he left the room, my breath grew quick and ragged. My fingers dug pits into the arms of the chair I sat in. Tears streamed down my face. My mouth tasted like metal and vomit. D and my mom were there I think. I don't remember what they did or did not do. I imagine they spoke to me and tried to calm me down, but I couldn't hear them probably.

My onc nurse saw me, she got down to my eye level, and she took my hand. She said a fair amount to me in about 5 minutes. My memory is jumbled from the conversation. Her words run to
gether seamlessly in my mind connected in some order that I now don’t really understand.
  • It's OK to have bad days.
  • This is really hard. 
  • It's OK to be scared. This is very scary. 
  • My friend has breast cancer, and she was out crying cutting the grass with scissors. I told her to go inside and pull the covers over her head. Bad days happen.
  • Sitting in that chair is a much braver thing than people realize. 
  • So have a bad day, sugar. Just remember to get up tomorrow.

I've gotten so used to living this way. So today was rough? Tomorrow will be better. It's hard to know what to do with numbness. It's not bad. It's not good. It just exists. The situation has drawn it out of me for my own protection, and my lack of activity, due to my elevated finger, feeds it.

Eventually, we will have to lay a new plan. I can't help but think the next plan has to go better than this last one.

2 comments:

  1. Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. Here's to Life, Amanda! (wow, John Lennon and Roger Clyne quoted in one full swoop)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly, right! This is where I'm meant to be :)

      Delete