Saturday, November 16, 2013

My life with bread

During my first trip riding my chemo chair, we lived at my parents house in Texas. It was summer. The hot sticky heat and my chemo body did not get along. I'd go from the house to a gifted car, and the world would spin as my limbs grew heavy: my body's vain attempt to faint away from the sweltering sun. The heat never really stops. It takes a deep breath in in the morning, and it exhales sauna well past midnight.

Random card I picked sort of spooky
In Texas, summer is like Winter everywhere else. Few people go out. They stay in. I stayed in, unless I was working or spending time with family and friends (particularly Rose and her mother). I watched too much "Scrubs," I read Janet Evanovich and Terry Pratchett. I wrote buckets of poetry. Apparently, I also used tarot cards. (I have no memories of the cards...but D swears he'd come home from work, and I'd be puzzling over the Fool, the five of cups, the up side down empress, and the jack of wands.)

Eventually, I figured out that I needed something creative to do. I needed to learn something new. I risked my mind rotting as my body rested. I needed a goal, a skill, something I could fuss over and perfect in my spaceship away from murky heat. Somehow, someway, I started baking. Everyone would be off at work, and I would bake. I made loaf, after loaf, after loaf of bread. When I mastered the instant yeast variety, I started my own sourdough starter, and I then made loaf after loaf of sourdough bread.

Miche was my favorite. A giant boule of bread would rest on the counter after I had tended to it for 16 hours stretching, pounding, and pulling the gluten into long elastic chains. D came home from work to find me with 5 or 6 different types of loaves lined up on the counter in various states of doneness. My arms, covered with flour and bits of dough, my nose dusted with white, and my hands stirring the starter. "I love sourdough. With all the little yeast beasts, it's like I have billions of friends."

I started my starter again. In the last week and a half, I've made sugar cookies, biscuits, bread, and bagels. My joy soars as I sink my left hand into the warm, breath filled dough.  Before I bake them, I can feel the life thrumming in their fibers. The energy of everything captured in flour, water, salt and yeast. It heals me to smell it. It heals me to touch it. In the process, I find flow.

So what that I can't knead it with my right hand? That's what clean elbows and forearms are for. So what if I have to use a stand mixer? Who cares? I can still bake, and I am glad I found that out again.




2 comments: