Friday, January 31, 2014

This post contains swear words and strong emotions

1 in 3 of us will develop cancer in our life times. Our bodies will try to kill ourselves in a process as ancient as life itself. A cell will divide and divide long past its sell by date, and we will sit in that room and wait, all nervous fingers and breath, for words that can't be taken back.

Fuck cancer. Fuck it. I fucking hate cancer. It's a thief that comes in the night to steal what is most precious. It steals what is sacred, loved, and cherished. I fucking hate cancer.

When I was a kid, my mom would correct us. Anytime we said, "I hate so and so." She'd say, "do you want them to die? If you don't, you don't hate them."  I didn't get that then. Now, I do. I want cancer to die a fast, quick death. I want to have that giant party that George Lucas threw at the end of the remastered episode VI.

It's been a rough and scary week, and I've welcomed too many people to the survivorship club. I'm sad they are joining, but I'm glad I'm here to give steady hugs and endless time to listen.

Most days, my cancers and I have an uneasy truce. They leave their echoes in my body, and I don't attack them ferociously with my mind. Shots were fired. The truce hangs by a thread.

Cancer is a force of nature. It's hard for me to stay mad at it for long. It's like a tornado, hurricane, or drought. It just is, and here I am standing in the desert, shaking my fist at the sky, screaming for rain until my throat aches from heat and air. 

So if you're reading this, and you know that full body betrayal, that cellular treason, you aren't alone. It's OK to be pissed off, and it's ok to scream and cry. Cancer fucking sucks, but it can't steal the you-ness of you. I'm going to tell you something that stills my racing heart and eases my knotted gut:  cancer can cause my death, but it can't kill my soul, my love, or my peace.

Know that you are so loved, no matter what happens.





4 comments:

  1. And same to you. Love is what gets me through this BS mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the only thing that matters. Big hugs.

      Delete
  2. Love you Amanda - loving you from the desert into your desert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too. The desert isn't a bad place to be.

      Delete