Friday, February 7, 2014

"I need help."

Thank you. Robot Hugs! Best advice ever.
Terror. My heart sunk into my shoes, my palms dripped anxiety, as my lungs stilled.  "I need to go to the hospital. I need you to take me. I am so sorry. I am so sorry." D's voice cracked and quaked. I grabbed my purse, my keys, shut my office door. "We got this baby. Together, we've got this."

My knees shook. I got D in the car. We raced to the emergency room. Back and forth, we talked and cried. "I am so sorry." "We've got this baby." "I am so sorry." "We've got this."  "I am so sorry." "This is the bottom, darling. This is the bottom." Once there, his breath eased, his body melted, and he relaxed. What he had been carrying on his shoulders alone became the burden of many.

We waited. The crisis worker interviewed us separately to ensure D didn't have an abusive wife at worst or at best, a wife who was the problem.  In that little room, when she asked me what I did, my eyes broke open and water streamed down my face. I smiled, "I'm a crisis worker."

I feel like she held my hand. I am certain she didn't. I probably looked like a psychological porcupine at a cross roads. "I'm surprised you're not in the room next to D, here for treatment." I chuckled. "It's my turn."  She smiled, "Just don't shovel your emotions and be strong for the sake of strength. It will hurt not to move." "D's wellness cannot be sacrificed for mine. There's always solutions."

In with D, talking with the crisis worker and the doctor, D, shuddered, "I know you need to go home and be with Duck, and I'm so sorry you can't. I am a horrible person." "We're staying here," I said evenly, clarity making everything hyper-focused and brilliant.  "There's no move." As I said it, I looked at the crisis worker. Our gazes met, and I did everything I could to tell her, "It's alright. I've got this."

In another room, a year before, when I talked to my sweet doctor, I told her D was having a hard time. She wondered why. She wondered how I could do better than he did. After all, I went through it, and he didn't. "I get it. If I die, I die, and I'm gone. If I die, he's here, and I'm not. I get it." She looked at me, "I've never thought about it that way." 

He has always been the strong one. The one who held me wracked in sobs at 2:00 am. the one who watched me bite my lip until bled to block out blinding pain of chemo side effects. The one who cleaned up Jackson Pollock vomit off the bathroom floor.

D and I've thought long and hard about telling this side of our story. We decided it needed to be told together. Mental health has lived in the shadows for too long.

D ended up diagnosed with PTSD from my cancer. Even though I sat in the chair, D lived through it with me. Each prick, each nausea wave, each incision, each waiting, he was there. D is a co-survivor of my trauma, and he, himself, is traumatized.

A reminder from a good friend.
His mental health crisis was as real as my cancer. He had no option to "just be happy" or "just buck up." He could only bend and ask for help.  The wicked thing about depression and other crises in the mind is that the last person to know it's a problem  is often the one who is suffering the most. They can't be cut out, they can't be irradiated, and they can't be poisoned, but they can be treated.

Mental health isn't a person's choice. It just is what it is, and there's good ways to treat it. D and I are both working through this together.

If you are struggling, your spouse, friends, and family are struggling with depression, PTSD, or another mental health issue, please don't feel alone. Mental health concerns are not a choice. Your choice is to recognize that you need help and do whatever you can to get it. It's not about being strong or not. It's about being wise enough to know you need someone's help.

At the bottom, we called D's brother, and he flew out and helped us both get on our meds. It was the best call I've ever made, and it was the best gift we've ever been given.





2 comments: