Friday, February 14, 2014

Aqua jogging

Last year, I wasn't entirely certain I had the strength to make it out of in the shape that I wanted to be in. Each denial letter from the insurance company eviscerated me.  I would sit at my desk in my old office in tears. I couldn't see a way forward. I, who always knows there're solutions, I, who always gets back up, stayed still and motionless trapped in a prison of pain and hopelessness.

Each denial letter reinforced this perception that my skills, my life, and my person-ness were not valued.  It didn't make sense. Every one who mattered said I need the machine. Without it, life stretched in front of me an endless struggle against a disability only a few trained people could see.

My mom's best friend, my aunt, once told me that I am an aqua jogger. "You get pulled under, and then you shoot right back up. You don't stay down long."  Last year, my lungs burned and my chest ached from being under the water too long.

I value resiliency. I value it in myself and in others. It is something that lets me say, "this isn't working. there has to be another way."

In November, I started meeting with some people about work. I remember sitting at lunch with one of them, and I remember saying, "I don't feel like this is a disability. I feel like it's a problem that needs solved."


Now, I see it as both. I haven't been able to pump for a week. I feel the heaviness creeping back. My hands won't hold pens easily, but it's different. I know it's temporary. I know, as soon as my cold is going, I can start pumping again, and the pressure and swelling will ease.

So it's a disability, but it's also something that can be supporting. Luckily, I've found an amazing place to work that seems to see it the same way.



2 comments:

  1. It is goods to have a supportive workplace. I am glad for you and hope you will be pumping again soon. ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday night! So much relief. I love that machine.

      Delete